28th annual KASK, New Zealand Sea Kayaking Forum – for those passionate about paddling
This document has important information and frequently asked questions (FAQ) you need to know about the event activities, venue, and how to get to the KASK Kayak Fest 2022 – Hahei
Please ensure you read this information carefully, to get maximum enjoyment from the event.
Where? Hahei Holiday Resort, 41 Harsant Ave, Hahei, Coromandel Peninsula
This is a beautiful, beachfront holiday park close to amazing coastal rock formations, sandy beaches and sheltered lagoons.
When? 10th-13th February 2022
What? This is an opportunity for paddlers of differing skill levels to paddle, share ideas, and learn on and off the water. You should be able to take your paddling to another level, learn from local and international instructors, be challenged and inspired in your kayaking.
Is this event for me?
If you are an experienced strong beginner, intermediate or advanced paddler, who can paddle 15-20km, and are comfortable paddling in 15 knot winds with roughish conditions then this is the event for you, you will hone your skills and learn so much more from international and local instructors.
This event is not suitable for absolute beginners/novice paddlers.
Do I have to be a member of KASK to attend this event?
No, however we encourage you to join.
What is included in the Registration Fee?
• Camping in the Hahei Holiday Resort – non-powered half site and camp facilities
• Separate car parking and kayak storage space
• Meals – Continental breakfast x 3, dinner (including pre-dinner snacks) x 3
(lunches x 2 are an optional extra)
• Welcome, meet and greet on Thursday evening
• Training sessions and coastal paddles
• Guest speakers
What is not included in the Registration Fee?
• Tent and camping equipment
• Plate, cup and cutlery for breakfast
• Lunches unless ordered at registration as an optional extra
• Paddling snacks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, plastic glass for drinks
• Kayaks and kayak gear
Where will I camp?
Hahei Holiday Resort, 41 Harsant Ave, Hahei.
Participants will be camping in a common area in light-weight tents, separate from car parking and kayak storage. Each campsite is approximately 32 sq m and non-powered. Vehicles will not be allowed in the camping area.
Full campsite facilities will be available – including toilets, showers, laundry tubs (washing machines and dryers take 2 x $2 coins), limited refrigeration and freezer space, rubbish bins and recycling.
There will be a number of power boards available for recharging of cell phones etc. The campground has free wifi.
Beachbrake Cafe is inside the campsite, with Hahei Village (general store, take-aways, café, liquor shop and gift shops) just a short walk away.
There is a Bar and barista coffee on site and BYO drinks are allowed in the Marquee or campground.
For those with other needs, further options may be available at extra cost. Contact Helen on [email protected]
Can I bring my motor home or caravan?
Only shared tent sites are included in the registration fee. If you wish to bring a motor home or caravan we have powered sites available within our area of the camp but it will cost an extra $5 per person per night which you will pay directly to the camp after your arrival and registration with our team.
What do I do on Arrival?
Don’t go to the camp office, there will be signs directing you to our area of the camp and our registration at the Marquee where you will be told where to drop your kayak, where to camp and drop off gear, and where to park your car.
What security is available?
Normal campground security will apply as both cars and kayaks will be inside the camp boundaries.
What Catering is included?
• Dinners including snacks before and dessert on Thursday, Friday, Saturday
• Breakfasts on Friday, Saturday and Sunday
• Lunches are an optional extra (if selected when registering)
• Meals will be served in the marquee at Hahei Holiday resort by professional caterers
• Special dietary requirements must be ordered at the time of registration
• Meals will be buffet style with a menu designed to suit most tastes.
• All plates, cups and cutlery will be supplied at dinner time, but you will need to bring your own for breakfast.
• Meals will be served with tea, coffee and water
If you require any food or drink other than what is provided, then you will need to bring it, or buy it locally. BYO drinks are allowed in the Marquee or campground.
Bring on-water snacks and your own drink bottle and thermos for filling and taking with you on paddling sessions.
What will be included in the programme of activities?
The program is still being formulated and finalised. We will update this page as we progress.
What we can promise you is:
• You will be challenged, inspired, stimulated, and encouraged to try new things, harder things. You will not just participate but contribute. There will be opportunities to learn or re-learn from the best, to fine-tune and hone your skills, and try things.
• You will get wet! You’ll be on the water and in the water and ‘on your toes’ as you are introduced to different skills under the banner of white stuff, manoeuvres, rolling and rescues. And if you are already a pro at all of that then try something different like Greenland paddling or navigation… or help out.
• You will be surrounded by a bunch of folk like yourself – passionate about and addicted to sea kayaking, all fired up to learn, to share knowledge and skills, to help each other achieve.
• You will be instructed by, or sit at the table and converse with, people who may have paddled around the odd island or two (the Aleutians or Australia or perhaps Stewart), camped in bear territory (polar, black, brown), seal-launched with seals, sweated it out in California or Canada, wrestled crocodiles, photographed birds in Arctic and Antarctic waters…
• You will be able to enter your best paddling photos into one the many categories or short video clips in the photographic competition.
• You will have fun; come, make your boat dance and your heart sing.
Will I need to use my car for kayak transport during the event?
Only if the weather is not suitable to launch safely at Hahei Beach, in which case you may need to drive 11 km to Cooks Beach.
How can I sponsor a student to attend KASK Fest?
KASK encourages the participation of students from the outdoor education sector to attend KASK Kayak Fests so that they will become inspired to be our future regional and national leaders to promote the sport of sea kayaking, safety standards, coastal protection and environmental awareness.
If you wish to sponsor a student from the outdoor education sector please tick the box during the registration process.
Suggested Gear Lists
Although this is a summer event, you will need to be prepared for all weather. Bring suitable paddling clothes (dress for immersion) along with off-water wear.
Tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag etc.
Sunblock and bug spray
Thermos for picnic lunches
Plates, cups and cutlery for breakfast
Lunch (if you have opted to bring your own)
Personal first aid kit with Personal Medication
Kayak Gear – You must have:
Paddling clothes (dress for immersion)
Pump or Bailer
Any gear on your person or deck will need to be attached securely.
I am travelling from overseas, is it possible to hire a kayak and equipment to pick up at Hahei?
Yes, if you contact the event organisers at [email protected] , they will coordinate and make every attempt to provide what you require.
Photo and Video Competition
Enter your best photographs and videos in this prestigious competition. Entries must have a sea kayaking or coastal connection. Details to follow.
Can I Cancel my Registration?
If you need to cancel your registration, you must let the event organisers know in writing. Please email us at [email protected]
Refunds will be paid as follows depending on when the cancellation email is received:
Cancellation up to 31 July 2021: Full Refund
Cancellation between 1 August 2021 -31 December 2021: 50% refund
Cancellation from 1 January 2022: No refund
Official Cancellation of the Event
In the event that the Kayak Fest has to be cancelled by the organisers due to Covid restrictions there will be no reimbursement of registration costs. We have been unable to procure insurance to cover for cancellation due to Covid restrictions that may be imposed at the time.
In the event that the Kayak Fest has to be cancelled by the organiser for other reasons, all participants will be reimbursed 100% of their registration costs.
Participants will be informed no later than five days prior to the event via email, text and on the KASK website and Facebook page.
During the registration, you would be asked to agree to the following waiver
International Kayak Week (IKW) is an informal week/period of paddling that follows the KASK Kayak Fest.
This year it will be on the Coromandel Peninsular from Sunday 13th to Friday 18th February 2022.
If you are an experienced paddler, want to enhance your paddling skills by paddling with some local and international legends – then this is for you. Further details and registration will be announced shortly.